Can mould be dangerous?

Updated: May 3


Before explaining why mould can be dangerous for you, let’s explain where mould comes from and what is it?


Mould is a living organism that belongs to the kingdom of fungi. The form of moulds is like filaments and is called hyphae. Fungi are single-celled, called yeast.


Mould float in the air, which humans can absorb. There are thousands of moulds, and some can cause diseases or food spoilage. They break down the plant or animal matter and can cause allergies and infections when it grows.


Moulds are pervasive groups of funguses that need a damp environment like the bathroom or leaky attic to propagate and provide us with a host of irritating and sometimes serious health conditions that cause mould toxicity.


Mould toxicity is an illness caused by exposure to mould. Especially by the small mycotoxin particles that come from mould.


Signs and Symptoms associated with mould exposure:

  • Runny nose and congestion

  • Sneezing

  • Coughing

  • Sore throat

  • Skin rashes

  • Headache

  • Lung irritation

  • Wheezing

  • Digestive issues (bloating, nausea, constipation /diarrhoea)

  • Insomnia

  • Brain fog

  • Confusion

  • Memory loss

  • Aches and pains

  • Changes in mood

  • Crave sugar as they need carbohydrates to survive

  • Fatigue

  • Skin rashes

  • Sensitivity skin/ itchy skin

  • Weight gain


How is mould toxicity diagnosed?


You might never be diagnosed with mould toxicity by your GP, even though you have experienced many symptoms present on the list. Don’t feel that your GP let you down or he didn’t care about you. It's not a lack of caring but a lack of awareness of mould’s potential to create harm.


In my clinic, I have seen many clients who came for IBS/SIBO or candida and found out that they had mould toxicity, which was the root cause of their illness.


I am using a urine test called Mycotoxin/mould test by the Great Plains laboratory that gives us more indication on the type of mould you might be infected with.


Different studies showed that moulds are often a root cause of certain illnesses such as


  • Gut problems (IBS/SIBO or candida)

  • Asthma

  • Immune compromised disease

  • Food allergies /sensitivity

  • Chronic lung disease

  • Chronic fatigue

  • Inflammation


What to do to avoid exposure to mould toxicity?


Tip 1: store your food properly in a glass jar and don’t let them there for too long
















Tip 2: be mindful with out of date products, as mould can be present already


Tip 3: don’t clean mould with bleach. It will come back (the mould has its own root cause like our illness - look at it closely)


Tip 4: keep your level of humidity below 50 per cent with a dehumidifier


If you experienced any symptoms from the list above and you are not sure if you have any mould toxicity, why not book your free call and let’s discuss see how I can help you.




Disclaimer: As a multilingual practitioner, you may occasionally notice some grammatical errors in my written work. If you have any questions relating to my content please do get in touch.